ABOUT THE BISHOP
PARENTAGE: Rt. Rev. Christian Chiodoadighi Ugwuzor was born on 4th April, 1963 to the family of Mr. Dennis Ugwuzor Nwachukwu (D.M.A) and Ezinne Bernice Nwachukwu (Nee Onyenweaku) from Umudim Ohanze of Alaoji-Ukpakiri in Abayi Ancient Kingdom of Obingwa Local Government Area of Abia State, Nigeria.
EDUCATION: As he went about with his father who was a civil servant, he attended four primary schools namely; Amaise Community School, Ukpakiri, St. Michael’s Primary School Aba, (now Hospital Road Primary School), Obokwe Central School Asa and Mbano Central School Umuekechi Asa from where he sat for the First School Leaving Certificate examinations in 1976.
His secondary education was at Ngwa High School Aba from 1976 – 1981. Thereafter, he proceeded to Samuel Bill Theological College Abak in the then Cross River State and bagged a distinction of the University of Calabar in Diploma of Theology in 1989. He also received the Cambridge award of the college. He also attended the prestigious Trinity (Union) Theological College Umuahia from 1989 to 1992 and was awarded a Diploma in Theology of the College and a Diploma in Religious Studies of the University of Calabar in 1992.
The Rt. Rev. Christian C. Ugwuzor is a graduate of Rivers State College of Education/University of Ibadan and holds the degree of Bachelor of Education in Education/Religious Studies (2nd Class Upper) of University of Ibadan. He did his post graduate work at University of Uyo and holds a Masters Degree in Church History and currently a Doctorate degree student in the Department of Religious and Cultural Studies of the same University.
MARITAL STATUS: Married 19 years ago to his heartthrob Mrs. Mgbechi Akudo Ugwuzor (Nee Ikechukwu) of blessed memory and the daughter of Mr. Emmanuel Ikechukwu (D.M.A) and Ezinne Gladys Ikechukwu (Nee Nwachukwu of Mbaso Ihie) of Asa Umunka in Ugwunagbo L.G.A. of Abia State. She has been an encourager, adviser, motivator and enabler to his husband in his calling and otherwise. Their marriage is blessed with four lovely children. She worked in the Diocese as an Enrolling member and Vice President respectively for the past 16 years and as Bishop’s wife for about one and half years before she was called home. He latter got married to Mrs. Cynthia Ihuoma Ugwuzor and wedded on 31st January 2015 at St. Michael’s Cathedral, Aba by the Most Rev. Nicholas D. Okoh, (Primate of All Nigeria Anglican Communion).
ORDINATION/PREFERMENT: Ven. C.C. Ugwuzor was ordained a deacon in July 1992 and priested in 1993 by the Rt. Rev. Prof. A.O. Iwuagwu. He was preferred a canon by the same Bishop in the year 2002 and preferred an Archdeacon in December 2005 by His Grace, The Most Rev. Dr. Ugochukwu Uwaoma Ezuoke.
WORK EXPERIENCE: After his Secondary Education he worked briefly as a casual staff in Star Paper Mill Industries, Aba and Lever Brothers PLC. Since his ordination Ven. C.C. Ugwuzor has served the Church of God in Aba Diocese and the National Church in the following capacities before his election to the see of Aba.
- * Member Church of Nigeria Historical Records and Achieves Adhoc Committee.
- * Assistant Clerical Synod Secretary Diocese of Aba for the past five years.
- * Co-ordinator HIV/AIDS Diocese of Aba.
- * Prison Chaplain Diocese of Aba.
- * Member Dr. Lady Grace Ngozi Iwuagwu Junior ate Ogbor Hill Aba – Board of Governors.
- * Secretary Synod Planning Committee
- * Chairman Aba Diocesan Trinity College Alumni Association.
- * Formerly C.R.K. teacher Dr. Lady Grace Ngozi Iwuagwu Junior ate, Ogbor Hill, Aba.
- * Lecturer in Church History/Doctrine – Trinity Theological College, Umuahia.
- * Chaplain Zone C. Aba Diocesan Council of Knights.
- * Vice Chairman Aba Diocesan Workers Welfare Committee.
- * Lecturer, Diocesan in-service Theological Training since 1994.
He has served either as Secretary or Chairman of various other committees and panels in the Diocese. He was also a chorister, youth, EFAC and Scripture Union leader at various times.
1. St. Michael’s Cathedral Aba 1992 – 1993 Diaconate
2. St. John’s Asa-Umunka 1994 – 1995 Parish Priest
3. St. George’s Aro Amano 1996 – 1999 Parish Priest
4. St. Thomas Ukpakiri 2000 – 2003 Parish Priest
5. St. Michael’s Cathedral 2004 – 2005 Curate
6. St. Timothy Umuokpoji, Aba 2006 – 2010 Archdeacon
7. St. James Egbelu Eziukwu 2011 - Archdeacon
ELECTION AS BISHOP: At the Episcopal Synod of Church of Nigeria on 6th July 2011 at Ibru Centre, Agbarghaotor, Ven. Christian Ugwuzor was duly elected a Bishop in the Church of God for the Diocese of Aba. His consecration took place on September 25, 2011 at Archbishop Vinning Memorial Church Cathedral, Ikeja, Lagos. He was enthroned as the fourth (4th) Bishop of Aba on 10th October, 2011.By 10th of October 2015 he would have spent four years on the throne as Bishop of Aba Diocese and by the grace of God the Anglican Diocese of Aba under his Episcopacy is making progress in every good ramification.